Escapees CARE Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit (tax-exempt) corporation formed in 1992 and is under the guidance of a volunteer board of directors.
CARE answers the question, “What happens to full-time RVers when they cannot take care of their own or their spouse’s needs following an illness, injury, surgery, or the progression of a long-term health situation?”
Friends may offer to help, not realizing that a “little help” will become a need for assistance with no end in sight. Is it fair to put that burden on neighbors or relatives who have their own lives to live? There has to be a better alternative than depending on neighbors or trading your RV home for a land-based residence.
It is located in Livingston, Texas, and it is called CARE (Continuing Assistance for Retired Escapees). Its mission is to provide a safe haven with professional assistance at affordable prices for members whose travels are impacted because of age or temporarily interrupted because of health problems.
CARE is a place where you will receive professional help for the things you may no longer be able to do. It is not a nursing home. Its goal is to delay or eliminate the need for a nursing home, or assisted living.
- CARE schedules medical appointments for most of its residents, and provides transportation to and from the appointments for those residents who no longer drive.
- CARE has a nurse on duty eight hours during the business day, for our Respite Program.
- CARE’s Respite program provides a secure day room, with trained staff to provide monitoring, games, exercise, and much more for the respite clients.
- The atmosphere at CARE is like an RV rally. It is nothing like an Independent Living Homes!
- Meals are made available
Those are just some of the services provided at Escapees CARE.
Escapees CARE, Inc. is able to provide its services at very affordable rates due to the generosity of Escapees RV Club members through their monetary donations and volunteering.
Daily Activities Include:
- Chair and fitness exercises.
- Free WiFi for computer and iPad.
- Simple craft projects.
- Card Games.
- Transportation to appointments, banks, & restaurants.
Weekly Activities Include:
- Live Country/Western Jam session every Thursday.
- Bingo, every M, W, & F.
- Root Beer Floats every Friday.
- Vespers on Sunday.
- Walmart/HEB shopping by Bus on Tuesdays.
- Big Breakfast Fundraiser on Fridays 2 Eggs made to order, bacon, hash browns, grits, biscuits and gravy.
- All-U-Can-Eat Pancake Breakfast on Saturdays.
Monthly Activities Include:
- Birthday parties with cake and ice cream.
- Hairdressers style Residents.
- Two to Four times each month, CARE schedules Bus Activates
- Health Fair, last week of March, our largest Fundraiser.
- Low-cost health tests, Wellness seminars, food & entertainment.
- Yard Sales in April and October added Fundraisers.
- Holidays have special menus.
- On July 4th, CARE took two full Buses to Fireworks over the Lake
- Golf car and Pet parades.
Escapees CARE, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit adult residency program designed for RVers whose travels are interrupted or reduced because of, age, injury, sickness, or surgery.
It is in Livingston, Texas, adjoining Rainbow’s End campground and Escapees headquarters. It is governed by its own Board of Directors, all of whom are volunteers. Heading the professional staff is a Director, who handles business affairs, and a program nurse in charge of the licensed program.
A resident’s RV is parked on a CARE Center site. Assistance is available through a staff on weekdays. Residents return to their own RV with the security of knowing someone is within call if needed.
Escapees CARE, Inc. offers two programs: the Respite Care program is open to the public at large, and the Residency program requires Escapees RV Club membership. If Escapees CARE, Inc. has fewer than two openings, a new application requires a minimum of a one-year membership in the Escapees RV Club.
Many people stay only long enough to recuperate from illness or surgery. Others plan to make CARE their final home. Many who “came here to die” are traveling again, thanks to the activity and socialization of CARE. “Come to CARE to get Stronger, to Live Longer”
Every attempt is made to match CARE’s services to accommodate changing needs. We hope most people can stay with us in their own RV home, surrounded by friends who truly care about them. If a physician determines there is a need for more help than we can provide, or if physical or mental capacity deteriorates to the point of being a danger to yourself or anyone, we help the family to make other arrangements.
Yes. Your pet (under 50lbs, unless it’s a certified working service dog) is welcome as long as you are able to properly care for it and can control its social behavior. Pets must be on a leash and you must clean up their messes.
Yes, but you must be able to walk to the dining center and function independently.
There is no deposit, entrance fee, or contract. You pay one month in advance.
The center opens at 7.30 am and locks up at 9 pm every day. The Respite Care program operates on weekdays from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. The building is open evenings and weekends for socializing. Three meals are served every day with the help of volunteers and staff.
YES, to retain your site and use of the storage shed, you pay a fee – if you are gone for a full month or more. Or you can give up your site and be placed on another one (if available) when you return.
YES, but only with a full-time caregiver since our program only provides supervision during the day in the Respite Care. Our purpose is not only to assure that all residents are safe, but also to provide daytime relief for these caregivers. Other caregivers parked beside you provide emotional support. Living in a caregiver setting in your own RV is something no other program offers. Our Respite Program features a coded door system and allows freedom of movement while keeping residents and clients from wandering into unsafe places.
It has an ambulance and paramedic services plus a dialysis unit and home health and hospice agencies. There is a well-equipped hospital that can do most diagnostic tests and operations plus an emergency department. And Houston, less than 75 miles away, is well known for its many specialty hospitals.
If you find cooking, cleaning, and laundry becoming difficult and no longer feel confident while driving, or can’t remember if you’ve taken your medicine properly, this may be the time to enter CARE rather than waiting for a catastrophic occurrence that forces you into a nursing home. Sometimes friends and relatives have to tell us it is time to get help.
Our prices will continue to be low because of donations from many generous Escapees who provided the funds to build the CARE Center without any loans. Their ongoing support allows us to continue to serve even low-income residents and clients. Plus we have many Escapees who continue to volunteer.
Why not give us a try? You can fly to Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston where a volunteer will meet you and bring you to CARE. You can stay at Pearl’s Place, a completely equipped cottage, while you try out the new program.
If you want to apply for the program or need added information, call our Nurse at 936-327-4256 to briefly discuss your physical situation and when you would like to move in. She will advise of availability and send you admission papers.
And remember, coming to CARE is not a final decision. Because there is no admission fee, you will not lose money if you decide to leave. You pay one month at a time, in advance, so any time you are ready to go back on the road you can do so.
Residency Services: $1090 per month for a single person (add $545 for a second person) as of 04/01/2020. Increases approximately 3% per year.
- Campsite with a concrete pad and a phone line.
- Use of private storage shed.
- Three meals, plus snack seven days a week.
- Housekeeper and laundry service.
- Help with dumping and switching propane tanks.
- Transport to local health services.
- Weekly Bus Trip for food and miscellaneous shopping.
- Access to respite services, for a fee.
Licensed Respite Program: $40.00/day. The program is open to everyone and operates Monday to Friday from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, except for holidays.
- Accepts Alzheimer’s patients
- Monitor blood pressure, weight, general health.
- Assist with medications, including injections.
- Assist with bathing and personal grooming.
- Assist with eating, up to three meals included.
- Assist with toileting and toilet hygiene.
- Assist with walking and exercises.
Additional fee in Residency Service:
- Additional laundry service.
- Propane costs and electricity charges.
- You are required to have a telephone for emergencies. This will be at your own expense.
- Extra help with maintenance.
- Extra transportation: The Brazos Transit System operates an on-demand local handicapped-accessible bus service on weekdays. The CARE staff will make your arrangements.
If a sitter is needed:
Residents who cannot safely be left without some supervision after hours or on weekends and holidays will need a sitter. This is an extra expense paid by the resident directly to the sitter after approval by the person responsible for paying the bill.
- Some long-term-care insurance policies cover adult daycare. Check your policy.
- CARE does not have a contract with Medicaid (a program designed for the indigent).
- Other resources may be available for those who qualify.
Print then mail
- Download and fill out our application.
- Have your physician complete and sign the consent form.
- Mail or fax completed documents to CARE. 155 CARE Center Drive, Livingston, TX 77351. Fax: 936-327-2368, if you mail, keep a copy of everything. You can also upload and send the completed documents through our CONTACT FORM.
- For couples, two applications are needed.
- Get the consent forms signed by a physician.
- The admission committee will determine if we can help you.
Special Note on PETS:
- Your pet under 50lbs is welcome, too, if you are able to properly care for it.
- You must submit proper papers on shots and health.
- Pets must be on a leash and all droppings must be picked up and disposed of properly.
You determine if CARE is the program you want, and we evaluate whether we are able to provide the services you need. The more accurately you fill out the application form, the more certain you can be that the admissions committee will make the proper determination before you make the move.
UPDATE: Starting August 10, 2019, Pearl’s Place Cottage will be unavailable for rent due to new site construction. Thank you for understanding.
Visitors to CARE Center have the option of renting Pearl’s Place Cottage – a standalone, two-bedroom cottage located within walking distance to the CARE Center building. Drawing inspiration from Ronald McDonald House charities, the cottage offers CARE residents’ families a convenient, affordable place to stay close to their loved ones. Situated as a short term rental, Pearl’s Place is ideal for:
- Visiting family members of CARE residents or DAHS (Adult Day Care) participants
- Escapees who need assistance while recovering from surgery
- Escapees members interested in touring CARE
This cozy country cottage has a living room with sofa, television, and DVD player; kitchenette with Keurig coffee maker; bathroom; one bedroom with a queen-sized bed; and a second bedroom with a queen bed plus a twin-sized hospital bed. With recovery in mind, the cottage is ADA compliant, including an accessibility ramp and walk-in shower. Rental includes bedding, linens, and basic kitchen utensils.
Pearl’s Place is available to Escapees members for $60 per day. Our CARE residents, DAHS participants, and their families receive a discounted rate. Pearl’s Place rental is open to CARE residents, DAHS participants, and Escapees members only; it is not open to the general public.
For further inquiries or to check availability, please contact CARE during business hours (M-F, 8 am-4 pm) at 936-327-4256 or contact us through our website. You may also visit our office at 155 Care Center Drive, Livingston TX.